FAQ

St. Joseph School Characteristics


St. Joseph School is a small, diocesan Catholic, co-educational elementary school that provides comprehensive and challenging educational opportunities for their students in an environment of traditional Catholic teaching. Since its beginning in 1873, St. Joseph School has been able to meet the needs of the Missoula Community and its desire for Catholic education. Currently, the enrollment of SJS is near capacity of the building of approximately 300 K – 8 students. Of these students, approximately 70% are Catholic.

St. Joseph School provides a small, accessible faculty and administration whose dedication and belief in the individual student and Catholic education fosters their vision and professionalism. The school is a family-oriented environment, structured by a cooperative effort between faculty, administration, students and parents to promote high moral and academic standards.

The parent involvement is conducive to wholesome family values. The people of SJS understand that these family values, along with the dedication toward children, help create a caring and loving atmosphere of positive education. St. Joseph School personifies a safe environment in which students know and respect each other.

Located in Missoula, Montana, a university community of approximately 70,000 in the Rocky Mountains of Western Montana, St. Joseph School provides the only Catholic elementary education in the region. St. Joseph is part of a Catholic School System that offers quality Catholic education in grades K – 12 to families in the Missoula area. Approximately 98% of SJS graduates continue their education at Loyola Sacred Heart Catholic High School in Missoula.

St. Joseph Early Education Program and After School Club programs are designed to meet the childcare needs of today’s families. Our facilities are conveniently located in the elementary school building.



Loyola Sacred Heart Catholic High School Characteristics


Loyola Sacred Heart Catholic High School is a diocesan Catholic, co-educational high school committed to providing a high quality college preparatory education in an environment of traditional Catholic teaching. Since its beginning in 1873, Loyola Sacred Heart has exhibited academic excellence. The enrollment has fluctuated from a low of 180 students to a capacity of approximately 200 students. The enrollment typically includes an approximate 40-50 students in each class from grades 9 – 12, of which 69% are Catholic.  A Catholic education is not just for Catholic’s.  The remaining 31% of our families are of various faiths and denominations.

Located in Missoula, Montana, a university community of around 70,000 in the Rocky Mountains of Western Montana, LSH provides the only Catholic secondary education in its region. Loyola Sacred Heart is part of a Catholic School System that offers quality Catholic education for Grades PK through 12.

LSH is founded on the charism and teaching philosophy of the Jesuit Father and Sisters of Providence. LSH is a Catholic educational institution that provides a venue where students can seek, find, comprehend, and apply the truth.

LSH emphasizes not only the subject matter but also the process by which one “learns to learn.” The process of learning is the central focus and, rather than passively receiving information and predefined explanations, students actively engage in finding out what they want and need to understand. The art of teaching students “how to learn” motivates our education.